Monday, May 27, 2013
5 Tips to bring God into your Life
Below are five simple tips to remember Divinity (God) throughout your day:
1. Honor Life (God) first thing in the morning. See your alarm clock as a gentle nudge from God to be present to the Divinity within the moment. Avoid using alarm clocks that sound like they are signaling danger or create an "ugh! not again" thought upon waking. Instead, find a calming alarm that reminds you to wake to the beauty of the day. Upon waking, give thanks for another day, this moment and this life. Take a conscious breath and cultivate a sense of gratitude for life as it is... in that very moment. Then, get up out of bed and begin your day. :)
2. Honor food and drinks before and during consumption. Many spiritual people pray before meals, honoring the edible morsels from God. Well, let's take this beautiful principle a step further and expand its teachings. Begin to take a moment of gratitude before you consume every drink, morsel, snack, meal... anything. Instead of praying just over the meal, be conscious and grateful for every drink and every bite. By doing this your begin to sense the Oneness within all of life, reduce the power of the ego and develop devotion.
3. Take conscious breaths throughout the day. At various times throughout the day, take a moment to breathe consciously. Gather the rays of the mind and shift your awareness to the present moment. Close your eyes. Take a slow deep inhale through the nose, and slowly exhale through the nose. Slow, deliberate, honoring. Connect to the peace and love that exists within each breath. Open your eyes keeping the same awareness. Then continue your actions feeling more vibrate, connected and peaceful.
4. Prepare meals for God. Everyone loves a good meal and many people know there is something special about mom's cooking. Dedicate your meals not only to you and your family, but also to God. Allow cooking to become your personal meditation. Slowly and with great care, prepare your food. Use simple, natural foods and techniques in preparing meals for the sacred Temple which hosts the Spirit. Honor the process of how the food appears before you now. Consider the entire cycle of each item from birth to consumption - birth, growth, harvest, packaging, transportation, placement, selection, purchase, preparation and finally consumption. See the beauty of your own process until today. Sense the unity in diversity of all who have been a part of the process to make sure you are nourished.
5. Conclude your day in Remembrance. There is something so special about honoring the play of life, Lila lee-la in sanskrit, before you fall asleep. Take a moment to honor the sacredness of being alive. Give gratitude for all that presented itself to you in that day - the good, the bad and the ugly. Embrace it equally, knowing it is all present for your highest spiritual evolution. Let go of everything preparing to rest in the purity and lightness. Know that you are also a part of the Divine Cosmic Play and there is a much brighter, wiser and peaceful Essence that is your very nature. Consciously breathe with awareness of the Eternal Light. Acknowledge the Grace within the moment. This is a very sweet and precious way to fall into the dream realm and enter the beginnings of another day of Divinity.
May you ever be blessed with Grace, Love and Light.
"Thou art Divine, Live up to It."
~ Swami Sivananda
Rishikesh India 1887 - 1963