Monday, January 14, 2013

Wonderful Natural Flu Remedy

A couple days ago my sweet husband came down with the flu. He didn't experience any "purging" but he did have fever, chills, achy body, and a nasty cough. When he arrived home from work that evening, I immediately knew he had caught something.

So I went to my trusty The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy book for the influenza remedy I had seen several times but never put to practice.

Within 36 hours he felt better and by the beginning of the fourth day he went off to work, and his job is quite physically demanding. It's the first time I have turned to oils for the flu, since I rarely have gotten it, but I was thrilled to witness their powerful affects. I previously have experience with homeopathics (see below) and knew their healing power, but incorporating the oils add another layer of support.

Here's what we did:

Day 1 (time of onset) - draw a steaming hot bath with the following essential oils: 5 drops tea tree, 2-3 drops lavender, 2 drops thyme. I didn't have any thyme essential oil so I boiled purified water on the stove and added 1-2 teaspoons dried thyme and then poured the hot water into the bath. Then I covered my husband with heavy bath towels to keep the heat in. He soaked for 20-30 minutes as I continued to add hot water from the stove to the bath water and then use my hands to pour the bath water over the towels.

I then prepared a massage oil to apply after the bath. Begin with an 1/8 cup+/- sunflower, jojoba or any other carrier oil for the body. Add 3-4 drops tea tree, 2 drops eucalyptus oil. Rub over your entire body including your face. Avoid the eye area as eucalyptus can burn. Be sure to dry off completely before applying the massage oil remedy.

Then I made an essential oil spray (purified water & essential oils) that I sprayed in the room every 2-4 hours. It consisted of 2 drops tea tree, 3 drops lavender. It was for a 3oz spray bottle.

Then we put him to bed.

Day 2 - That day after teaching a yoga class, I finally made it to the store for some homeopathic assistance. I bought Oscillococcinum and Umcka cold & flu. He took one vile of oscillococcinum around 12pm. Then in 3 hours I gave him a dose of umcka. We alternated as directed with more time between since both fight flu.

That evening he took another bath (like above), we oiled him down and he went to bed. That was the night the fever broke with a furry. I "randomly" woke at 3am to find him, and the bed, sopping wet. We changed his clothes, the sheets and blankets and put him back to bed. All the while he was ingesting homeopathic medicines.

Day 3 (really less than 36 hours later)  - He woke around 9am feeling much better. He laid around the house during the day, took a shower and was actually up and about a bit. By the next morning he went back to work.


Hope that this helps you to find healing comfort this winter from any nasty viruses that may cross your path. As I mentioned earlier I was surprised by the healing power, beauty and good scents (and sense haha) that flowers & homeopathics can provide for us as we begin our road to recovery and health. 

Thank you Mother Nature for your Grace and abundant medicines... we are eternally grateful for your compassionate heart.

Happy healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment