10 Yoga Tips to Stay Cool
1. Encourage yourself to surrender more deeply in your asana practice; allow more time for each asana, creating a deeper, calmer inner atmosphere. This approach to asana helps cool the inner fire.
2. Perform all asana in a way that is non-competitive, nurturing and enjoyable. Try to practice either early morning or early evening when the temperature begins to cool. Even though you will probably practice in a climate controlled environment, for increased energetic benefits it is highly suggested to practice outside, in the cooler hours of day.
3. Emphasize a cooling breath by making your exhalation longer than inhalation. After you exhale all the air out, retain the breath as a powerful effect to focus the mind and stabilize the agni, or fire. The retention should be just a few seconds or less.
4. Increase your meditation practice as it is known to have a cooling, calming effect on the mind.
5. Eat cooling, sweet, bitter and astringent foods (coconut, cucumber, watermelon, all the fresh fruit in season, steamed greens, multicolored salads, watercress, endives, mung beans, basmati rice, etc) and avoid spicy and fried foods.
6. Add cilantro, cucumber, or mint to your water for a refreshing beverage that will cool you down.
7. Enjoy rose, sandalwood, jasmine or lavender essential oils to relax (and cool) the senses. Wonderful cooling summer tip... Add a few drops of rose essential oil to a clean spray bottle filled with purified water. Store in the fridge to keep cool. Spritz a few times directly on the face, neck, arms and body for an instant sense of feeling refreshed and cool.
8. Using coconut oil, give yourself a full body massage. Wait 20-30 minutes in meditation, then rinse off in a cool to warm shower. Avoid hot water as this increases heat.
9. Wear light colored clothing, loose cotton, linen, natural fibers etc (ex. white, blue, green) so air can circulate between your clothes and your skin. Natural fibers are also beneficial in allowing the prana, or energy, to circulate and flow too.
10. Spend time in nature; swim, hike, camp, retreat and enjoy the moonlight.
Stay cool and enjoy all that this beautiful season has to offer you!